potential cereulide on plastic container, can it be washed off?

by worriedBoy   Last Updated May 14, 2019 02:17 AM

I recently saw a video of a person who died from eating 5 day old unrefrigerated pasta. The cause was cereulide toxin from Bacillus cereus bacteria in the food. I recently left pasta unrefrigerated in a plastic container for 3 days accidentally, and it smelled kind of like vinegar when I opened it to put in the dishwasher. I assumed that washing the plastic container in the dishwasher on a sanitize cycle would be fine to remove any potential cereulide toxins, but then started researching cereulide (because I'm paranoid) and came across some scientific data mentioning that

"Cereulide is moreover hydrophobic, so it can attach to contact materials. This means that cereulide cannot be easily eliminated in industrial installations. Cereulide can thus not be eliminated with usual cleaning protocols and when the heat sterilization of 15 minutes at 121◦C is not strict enough (Rajkovic et al., 2008)."

So, is my plastic container permanently toxic now or am I just being paranoid? Can you get food poisoning from even a washed plastic container because of this toxin?



Related Questions


Updated September 27, 2017 13:17 PM

Updated July 31, 2015 13:07 PM

Updated July 19, 2015 13:07 PM

Updated July 21, 2016 08:07 AM

Updated April 12, 2015 22:04 PM