How can I safely sign a metal print?

by ahockley   Last Updated May 14, 2019 19:18 PM

I'm looking at producing some larger fine art pieces printed on metal (there are a few pro vendors which do this). If I wanted to sign these pieces (on the front, in the corner), does anyone know of a type of pen that could be used which won't damage the art and will hold up over time?

Tags : fine-art

Answers 4

A standard 'Sharpie' permanent marker contains acid, but..

Sharpie lists on their website a few ones that are 'acid free' and for 'archival quality', those should be fine.

July 03, 2011 18:13 PM

We debated this on digital grin once, and came to two conclusions:

  1. Pilot Acid Free Paint Pen
  2. Bic Markit

July 03, 2011 20:34 PM

Answer received from a customer service supervisor at Bay Photo, one of the leading vendors which does metal prints:

...we have tested many types of markers and pens on our metal prints. We have found that the Bic Mark-it works the best. It is permanent and does not rub off.

July 05, 2011 22:26 PM

I find even fine point sharpie too broad and does not distribute evenly therefore looking for an alternative

David Koll
David Koll
May 14, 2019 18:20 PM

Related Questions

Updated May 29, 2015 21:07 PM

Updated February 06, 2018 16:18 PM

Updated February 20, 2016 01:08 AM

Updated April 18, 2019 07:18 AM

Updated April 28, 2017 12:18 PM